Monday, March 17, 2008

RSS Feeds

RSS feeds aren't entirely new to me- I did the Ebsco database training at the State Library where I was introduced to RSS feeds and all the useful things that you can do with them. Since coming back from the training I've signed up for a google reader account and subscribed to some great feeds. Having now also signed up for a Bloglines account i think I might slightly prefer it!

One of the most useful things I discovered during the training was that I can sign up to feeds of database searches I carried out. This could be a great tool for someone studying/ researching a subject where they need to keep up to date with a subject in the news. I did a test run and carried out a search on my local council and now every time an arcticle appears about the council it appears in my google reader accout.

Most of my subscriptions have been work related, but the discovery of the Sydney Morning Herald blogs I've found some slightly more fun subscription! One that I particuarly liked is the Beauty Beat Blog, which I will try and add as a feed to my page.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

I am also a recent convert to RSS feeds. I think the key is to not get too out of control with feeds at it does get a little overwhelming. Bloglines is a great manager of my slightly too large number of feeds.

Leanne