Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Wiki Confession......

I think Wikis are great!

Students regularly come in to our library with the belief that EVERYTHING about wikis is bad, however I always try and tell them that they are a useful source, especially for new and emerging information eg, a new technology etc. Wikipedia and the like are a great starting point for an information search. I always make sure that I tell them that they should verify the information against another source though!

I also use wikipedia in my day to day reference enquiries.... If someone asks me about something I have no knowledge about, I'll have a quick scan of wikipedia to allow me to search our catalogue more effectively. For example if someone is interested in a certain artist, if I can find out what period they were from, I can find books that might include them in them as well as specific books about them.

Our IT department is in the process of getting a council wide wiki off the ground. So far there's not much on there so it's use is limited however in time I think it could be a really useful resource for all of council.

I really liked the book lovers wiki, I think this is a great idea for readers advisory, it allows a variety of people to share their opinion about a book in a format that's easily accessed!

No comments: