Monday, April 7, 2008

Tagging, folksonomies, del.icio.us and LibraryThing

I really like del.icio.us, it's great for keeping all your useful links in one spot and allowing you to tag them with meaningful phrases. We had problems where I work adding delicious as council won't allows us to add buttons to our computer, however IT came up with a great solution:

If you go to the buttons page (http://del.icio.us/help/buttons) you add the two buttons as favourites.
To add the buttons, right click and select "Add to favorites"
Accept the warning about the "dangers" of the shortcut - they are javascript and we know what they do.

Once added, when you are browsing the web, have your favourites open as a tab on the left hand side.

To bookmark a page to del.icio.us, go to the page and then click the favourite "post to del.icio.us" - you can then complete the metadata as per the button.


I also had a look around LibraryThing and loved it. I really like the catalogues that have integrated it. I really, really like the State Library of Tasmania's new catalogue. I created my own catalog and as you can see I'm a bit of a chicklit/ romance junkie: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/bex80

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Thanks for the tip. Did you attend the romancing the reader seminar recently...sounds like it was your kind of things.

Leanne