Friday, April 11, 2008

Answer boards and social searching

I've never really looked at answers boards until the last week or so, but I've had an invasion of spyware, adware on my computer and was hoping to find a solution. They were interesting and gave me a start but unfortunately my computer is still invaded!!!!!

I also browsed through some of the Yahoo Answers Pet section and was a bit horrified by some of the answers people gave- I can definitely see a benefit in librarians/ and experts in some of the fields slamming the boards.

I like social searching elements, I'm a big fan of the site fantasticfiction.co.uk and have found a few different authors to try with their "Visitors to this page also looked at these authors" and "Similar Books by other authors...". I could definitely see this as being a huge benfit for a fiction collection on a library catalogue. The State Library of Tasmania has this and I think it makes their catalogue so useful.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Yes - some of the answers are VERY dodgy - long live librarians and slam the boards!

I also like the 'similar books' idea and the State Library of Tasmania catalogue is great.

Victoria